Monday, January 6, 2014

Never to Retire

I have been thinking of this notion of "Retirement" for sometime now and come to believe that it needs to be eliminated. Not pensions and Social Security, but the whole concept of retirement. It seems that the main thinking around retirement is to have enough money to not work, pay medical bills, hang out, and then die. Not a pleasant picture in my mind.

When I was in my twenties and working on the railroad, I remember the then old timers could outwork me. I was able to move faster, but they could get more done then me. I was an apprentice at this time working on what was called the rip track. This was were we would repair the train cars.  I will never forget how the journeyman I worked under looked after he came back for a visit a few months after his retirement; he looked much, much older! I was a bit shocked at this.

There have been numerous times that I have said I will not be able to retire and will have to work until I die. Many of my age group have said the same thing for themselves. In many ways this is depressing, however, only when viewed from the old paradigm of what the retirement years are supposed to be.

What I am now doing is cultivating the notion that I have completed the first half of my life and now beginning a whole new life. So this means I am planning on living to be about 125 years old, healthy and active. This idea isn't a matter of belief, but one of an attitude.

What excites me is that now instead of looking toward my future with fear and seeing the end, I am feeling a sense of anticipation of focusing on my heart's desires and having the wisdom of my age to guide my continuing journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment